Hello and Welcome!
I am a researcher at Oracle Labs, working on the Maxine VM, the Graal compiler, the Truffle dynamic language infrastructure, as well as on other projects that involve dynamic compilation and optimizations. My research interests span from compilers, virtual machines, and secure systems to component-based software architectures.
I received a Dr. techn. degree in Computer Science (advisor: Prof. Hanspeter Mössenböck) and a Dipl.-Ing. degree in Computer Science, both from the Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria. Before my time at Oracle, I was a postdoctoral researcher (PostDoc) at the Department of Computer Science of the University of California, Irvine. I worked with Prof. Michael Franz at the Secure Systems and Software Laboratory on on novel compilation techniques and optimizations for just-in-time compilers, dynamic programming languages, information flow analysis, and secure execution of code.
As a PhD student, I worked at the Institute for System Software of the Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria on compiler optimizations for the Java HotSpot™ virtual machine of Sun Microsystems. The implementation of a linear-scan register allocator for the Java HotSpot™ client compiler finished successfully, the optimization is now part of the Sun JDK 6 (source code available from the OpenJDK project). Then, I explored automatic object inlining, a novel feedback-directed optimization for the Java HotSpot™ VM. I also manage the development of the Java HotSpot™ Client Compiler Visualizer, a visualization tool for the internal data structures of the client compiler, as well as of the C1X compiler of the Maxine VM
- Thomas Würthinger, Christian Wimmer, Andreas Wöß, Lukas Stadler, Gilles Duboscq, Christian Humer, Gregor Richards, Doug Simon, Mario Wolczko: One VM to Rule Them All. In Proceedings of Onward!, ACM Press, 2013.
- Christian Häubl, Christian Wimmer, Hanspeter Mössenböck: Context-Sensitive Trace Inlining for Java. In Computer Languages, Systems & Structures. Elsevier, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.cl.2013.04.002
- Christian Wimmer, Michael Haupt, Michael L. Van De Vanter, Mick Jordan, Laurent Daynès, Douglas Simon: Maxine: An Approachable Virtual Machine For, and In, Java. In ACM Transactions on Architecture and Code Optimization, volume 9, issue 4, article 30. ACM Press, 2013. doi:10.1145/2400682.2400689
- Gilles Duboscq, Lukas Stadler, Thomas Würthinger, Doug Simon, Christian Wimmer, Hanspeter Mössenböck: Graal IR: An Extensible Declarative Intermediate Representation. In Proceedings of the Asia-Pacific Programming Languages and Compilers Workshop, 2013.
- Sameer Kulkarni, John Cavazos, Christian Wimmer, Douglas Simon: Automatic Construction of Inlining Heuristics using Machine Learning. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization. IEEE, 2013. doi:10.1109/CGO.2013.6495004